44 Comments

2014/02/19

Memo, I did not land that particular gig. Better luck is sure to follow.

2014/02/14

Hey Guy, yes indeed. “Mr. Brown” was one of the most delightful “festival friends” I’ve encountered to date.

2014/02/11

Hi Jon, hope you’ve recovered from that relaxing yet exciting month (I won’t say where, others can read your blog for more details). *grin*
      You hit the nail on the head. I may never see “Mr. Brown” again but I doubt I’ll forget him (or his beautiful eyes) any time soon.

2014/02/11

Jess, a little of both. If one is open to the good things in life, they’re often found in moments like this. 😀

2014/02/10

Thanks Dan – Life is peppered with gem-like moments for us to enjoy, if we’ll only take the time to let them happen.

1. 2014/02/10

Beautiful story! That’s one of the things I always loved about living in NYC. You were never alone, and yet it was so easy to disappear into the crowd. Thinking back on some of my random conversations enjoyed while waiting for something, I wonder if they would have happened had I been staring at my phone like today.
    Heather recently posted…New York City Revisited: A Fanciful RetreatMy Profile

2014/02/10

Heather, phones do not seem to stop anyone from approaching me. I find they’ll start the conversation with questions about it, but I do agree that when you live in a city (I certainly found this to be true in Seattle) you could often blend, or not, according to your mood.

2014/02/10

Carlos, yes it was definitely a different type of encounter but a very positive one. Thanks for stopping by.

2. 2014/02/10

This morning, I parked at the train station car park just as another one next to me did. It was a tight fit, so we had to open one car door at a time, making for a little light-hearted banter which continued as we walked towards the platform. Then, when the train arrived, we made a point (or, I suppose, I made a point) of entering a different carriage. Sometimes I just want to read my book in peace.
    Sophie recently posted…Swedish Heritage Sunday: Hanseatic Visby, GotlandMy Profile

2014/02/10

Sophie, therein lies the beauty of it all – you can be friendly and given time, you can share quite a bit, but you also have the option to escape into solitude (and a good book). 😀

2014/02/10

Jeff, you’re right there is something about public transportation that allows for the impromptu intimacy of strangers. I did not get that job but no worries, I still the see that day as a “win.”

2014/02/09

Craig, I too sport brown orbs :-) I boarded first (‘Mr. Brown’ was a gentleman) and while we couldn’t have sat together, we could have sat closer.

3. 2014/02/09

Great story. Obviously one that resonates with people, too. Interesting the barriers we set up not wanting to get too close, yet finding temporary engagements enjoyable. Switching to airplanes — I think it’s kind of funny that for a flight of several hours, people won’t converse at all during the flight. But as soon as we land and wait to deplane, we get chatty — now that we’re safe and don’t run the risk of a miserable in-flight experience. I’m guilty of being a little aloof on flights.
    Cathy Sweeney recently posted…Second Date on the Napa Valley Wine TrainMy Profile

2014/02/09

Cathy, I was grounded for 24 hours after an emergency landing – my row-mate didn’t speak English and other than the crew, (you can always find me loitering outside the rear galley) I didn’t converse with anyone but ended up making wonderful friends with several passengers during that time… we’ve lost track of each other since but I haven’t forgotten any of them. Bitter sweet travel moments come from all directions. 😀

2014/02/09

4. 2014/02/08

Have you ever considered to self-publish a book? I would totally buy it!
    Sharon recently posted…Easy Tacos RecipeMy Profile

2014/02/09

Thanks so much Sharon. Maybe we could collaborate on something one day. Crazy travel experiences based on specific menus or dishes. 😀

5. 2014/02/08

Ah yes, so true and so nicely told: That shift from intimacy to something less and all brought about by going through a door… in this case, a bus.
    David Bennett recently posted…Big Ben On A Concrete RaftMy Profile

2014/02/08

David, I love your take on this… stepping through a doorway.
      Poetry David.

2014/02/08

Mike, definitely can be tough but can also remind us we’re not alone and everyone has something to offer others – if we’re open to the experience.

6. 2014/02/08

I’ve experienced this plenty when taking public transit… somehow, stepping onto the bus creates a different platform, one where talking is no longer necessary.
    Colleen Brynn recently posted…Let The Games Begin!My Profile

2014/02/08

Colleen, so true – the stepping into the bus changed the dynamic.

7. 2014/02/08

I just love your writings Maria. Always so vivid.

2014/02/08

Thanks Regina, you just made my weekend!

2014/02/08

Thanks Jennifer!

8. 2014/02/08

Interesting observation, but very typical. Some encounters can get too close too fast, so they need a little distance to settle I guess. Hope the interview went well:)
    Mette recently posted…Beetroot tortelliniMy Profile

2014/02/08

Mette, I love these mini friendships that crop up in the most mundane circumstances.

2014/02/08

Thanks Lauren – have an adventurous weekend!

9. 2014/02/07

Too funny! I have met some of the most suspicious characters on public transportation. Most especially on planes. I attract the weird, I think.
    Sherry recently posted…Mystified in the Aspen WoodsMy Profile

2014/02/07

Sherry, I meet interesting people on flights but “characters” on buses. We should share a meal sometime and exchange notes. 😀

10. 2014/02/07

Oh my gosh this enticing music was playing in my head as background to this enticing promise of something amazing to come.
    Then all of a sudden someone unplugged the proverbial stereo (meaning him).
    Your picture is absolutely PERFECT! Another fantastic read escape for me and thank you, Maria! :)
    Mike recently posted…A Delicious Breakfast Quesadilla For Any Meal Of The DayMy Profile

2014/02/07